Seven people have been committed to stand trial over the alleged theft and sale of $2 million of engines and transmissions from a Holden manufacturing plant.
Holden managing director Mike Devereux says that his company is ready to seek further government assistance to continue manufacturing in Australia.
Despite four straight months of falls, car sales have hit record levels. Australians purchased 1.13 million cars in the year to April.
South Australian Premier Jay Weatherill says that without funding from both state and federal governments Holden may shut down its production plant in Elizabeth.
Holden has posted its second-biggest financial loss ever, with the high dollar and restructuring costs hurting the bottom line.
CMI Fuel Systems, a key supplier to Ford and Holden, has moved into voluntary administration.
Holden’s announcement of job cuts on Monday demonstrates the dual impacts of the strong Australian dollar and import penetration upon the beleaguered domestic automotive industry, Remy Davison discusses whether the industry needs support or should be laid to rest.
A computer glitch at Holden has left around 1500 cars unaccounted for and prompted the manufacturer to report its lowest month of production in almost seven years.
Holden has made controversial new changes to the shift policy at its assembly plant in Adelaide, with some workers considering strike action over the new plan.
Federal industry minister Greg Combet has said that a lack of policy from the opposition was dangerous to investment in the automotive industry.
Mike Devereux, chairman of General Motors Holden, has said that the outcome of the next federal election would decide whether or not Australia continued to manufacture cars.
The state opposition has said that Victoria’s 200,000 public servants could support Australian car manufacturers by only being allowed to purchase Holdens, Fords and Toyotas.
Administrator Macks Advisory says that Autodom won’t be ready for sale for at least six months.
Federal opposition treasury spokesman Joe Hockey has said that today’s job losses at Ford are proof that protectionism was “not the answer” to car manufacturers’ problems.
The 400 workers at Autodom face an uncertain future, says the AMWU, with nobody coming forward to buy the car parts maker.
Around 400 Autodom employees have returned to work after the company entered voluntary administration last week and announced an indefinite halt to operations in three factories in Victoria and South Australia.
Former South Australian treasurer Kevin Foley is lobbying for the troubled automotive parts maker Autodom.
Workers at Autodom’s Dandenong South and Gisborne factories have upped tools this morning.
An announcement is expected today on Holden and Ford’s plan to ensure troubled car parts maker Autodom keeps operating.
Holden has announced it will cut another 170 jobs in Adelaide due to falling car sales.