Manufacturing News

NSW sale ban issued on portable butane gas stoves after death [VIDEO]

There has been a safety warning issued on lunchbox-style portable gas cookers, following a death last month at Casino.

The ABC reports today that NSW Fair Trading has warned the portable, butane-powered cookers could potentially explode.

"Testing, undertaken at the request of NSW Fair Trading and other state gas regulators, has found a fault with the cookers' shut-off valves, posing a risk that the devices may overheat and could explode," said the state’s fair trading commissioner in a statement.

“If these products malfunction they can potentially cause serious injuries and I’d encourage people to stop using them.

“Fair Trading is continuing to work with retailers, manufacturers and other states to ensure products are removed from shelves.”

The Northern Star has reported that a man died after an explosion on February 2 at Glen Villa Resort, Casino, which burnt 100 per cent of his body.

Up to 31 models of the cookers are covered by the ban. It covers brands including Home Essentials, Oztrail and Gasmate.

Below is a video of what happens when a butane stove canister explodes.

{^youtubevideo|(width)425|(height)264|(rel)True|(url)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IpNnPdMCIg|(fs)True|(loop)False|(autoplay)False^}

 

Image: http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/Consumers/Product_and_service_safety/Lunchbox_cookers.page?

Leave a Reply

Send this to a friend