South Australian Premier Jay Weatherill will meet with GM Holden’s managing director Mike Devereux today, seeking a written commitment regarding the company’s future in Australia.
The ABC and others report that the Premier will discuss $50 million is funding the state had offered to the car maker but withdrawn after Holden announced in April that it would cut 400 jobs at its Elizabeth plant.
Devereux said the meeting would concern, "Getting Holden to spend a billion dollars, making two new models.''
The Premier has said that he may also visit parent company General Motors in Detroit, who will make a decision on the viability of continuing to manufacture in Australia shortly after the September 7 federal election.
Holden is due to re-tool its factory over summer in preparation for its new models.
Holden workers voted to accept a revised Enterprise Bargaining Agreement last week, which included a three-year freeze on wages. Devereux said that the savings made in the agreement were essential for Holden continuing to make cars in Australia.
Premier Weatherill has said that even if Holden stayed, some in the supply chain would not survive, and there would be changes to the demand for local components.
"Some of the component makers that exist here in SA won't make the journey with them, others will have a reduced level of work,'' he told the ABC.
"It's very important that we have very clear commitments about how Holden will work with them.''
The opposition has been critical of Weatherill’s outspoken comments on Holden’s future, and what his government was doing to try and secure this.
"We're in constant contact with Sophie Mirabella's office, we're in constant contact with Tony Abbott's office, we're in constant contact with the Holden's office," said Steven Marshall, the alternative Premier.
"This is the way it should actually be done, not played out on a daily basis with Jay Weatherill saying 'I'm jumping onto a plane to go and solve the problems of the auto sector'. It's not solved like that."
Image: News Limited