Vic gov offers auto factory $1.5M transition grant

The Victorian government has announced a $1.5 million support fund to Holden Special Vehicles in Clayton South, which will help the company transform its operations.

The state minister for industry and employment, Ben Carroll, made the announcement in a visit to Holden Special Vehicles, located in Melbourne’s South East on Monday.

“The grant, provided under the Local Industry Fund for Transition, is to help the company embark on a $12 million project, that will create more than 50 new jobs, suitable for ex auto workers,” the minister said.

“We’re helping Holden Special Vehicles create jobs, transform its operations and diversify its product offering,” Carrol said.

As part of its expansion project, the company has established a purpose-built facility and purchased new high-tech equipment so it can diversify its vehicle production lines and expand into the modification of imported vehicles.

This includes converting imported General Motors Camaros from left hand-drive to right hand-drive, a process which requires hundreds of new parts to be designed, engineered and manufactured.

The company historically manufactured and enhanced high-performance vehicles for General Motors (GM) Holden. Since its inception in 1988, HSV has built over 85,000 vehicles for Australian and overseas customers.

The industry transition grants help businesses generate new investment and create jobs for retrenched workers in areas affected by the closure of car manufacturing, including Melbourne’s South East.

Despite the closure of car manufacturing, more than 16,000 jobs have been created in Melbourne’s South East in the last 12 months and almost 78,000 since November 2014.

The initiative has supported 40 projects so far, which are expected to create 1,150 jobs – more than 900 of which are suitable for former automotive workers.

 

 

Leave a Reply