Agricultural machinery manufacturer Kelly Engineering has won the 2014 Business South Australia Exporter of the Year award.
Adelaide Now reports that the family-owned company from Booleroo Centre in the foothills of the Flinders Rangers manufactures disc chain harrows, disc mulch chains, prickle chains, and comb trailers.
Kelly’s most well-known product, the Kelly Diamond Harrow, is a light tillage implement that is used for integrated weed management in cropping. It helps to reduce the need for chemicals in weed control and to cut fuel consumption.
The company began exporting to the US in 2006 and recently celebrated the export of its 1000th machine to that country. It now accounts for about 90 per cent of the disc chain harrow market in Australia and the US.
In addition, it is now expanding its exports into Africa and Europe.
Speaking at the ceremony, Investment and Trade Minister Martin Hamilton-Smith said, “South Australia is home to many outstanding manufacturing businesses whose achievement, skills and innovation continue to generate fresh export opportunities for our State.”
Apart from Exporter of the Year, Kelly was also named Manufacturer of the Year by Business SA.
The Business SA Export Awards are part of a national program. As a winner, Kelly Engineering automatically becomes a finalist in the 52nd Australian Export Awards.
The full list of winners:
- Ferguson Australia — Primary Industries and Regions SA Agribusiness Award
- Patch Theatre Company — Channel 7 Creative Industries Award
- B.-d Farm Paris Creek — Efic Environmental Solutions Award
- Soniclean — National Wine Centre Health and Biotechnology Award
- Avinet — Austrade Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Award
- Kelly Engineering — Department of State Development Manufacturing Award
- Blue Lake Milling — Primary Industries and Regions SA Regional Exporter Award
- Protect-IT Column Guards — AusIndustrySmall Business Awards
- Kelly Engineering — StatewideSuper South Australian Exporter of the Year