Ford factory decommissioning process to take time, says boss

Image: www.swadeology.com

The sale of the Ford manufacturing sites will come no time soon, the company’s Australian boss has said.

Fairfax reports CEO Graeme Whickman as saying that decommissioning would take a long time, and it was a “long way” from discussing what would happen to the Broadmeadows and Geelong sites.

“We have to decommission, and go through some very important environmental steps, and we’ll talk about that in the future,” said Whickman.

Ford ended its Australian manufacturing operations – after announcing in May 2013 that it had made its decision to abandon car making in Australia – on Friday.

Its Geelong site opened in 1925 and the Broadmeadows site in 1959

Holden, which will shut its Elizabeth, Adelaide factory next year, announced last month that it had sold its Fishermans Bend site to the Victorian government for $130 million. The government has said it would use the land to create an advanced industrial and engineering hub.

 

Leave a Reply