End of the line for Holden in October

Holden range of vehicles

Holden has confirmed October 20 as its closure date, over three years after revealing plans to cease Australian production, carmaker. Workers at its Elizabeth assembly plant in Adelaide’s north were today informed of the deadline. 

It said more than 30,000 vehicles would be built before manufacturing ends. The carmaker said the announcement would provide certainty to its employees as well as the factory’s supply chain. 

It said nearly 1,000 people remain working at the Elizabeth plant and there were no plans to lay any off before October. According to other news reports, workers relieved to finally have deadline. 

The Australian Manufacturing Workers’ Union said the announcement would provide some much-needed certainty to Holden’s employees. 

Acting state secretary Colin Fenney said workers who returned from holidays at the start of January had been asking when their last shifts would be, in order to plan their transitions to retirement or other work. 

“The people are probably a bit relieved now,” he said.