SCA Kawerau has upgraded its Bay of
Plenty tissue facility, investing $NZ 60 million to upgrade the half-century-plus-year-old
Sixty per cent of the facility’s output is Tork products,
with the rest including Purex and Handee products.
The upgrades include, “a new 14,500 square-metre
tissue conversion hall, a 50 metre long state-of-the-art ‘wide-winding’ machine
and robotised packing and dispatch,” according to a statement from Tork.
“These investments increase production of
tissue products at the site by the equivalent of 22 forty foot containers each
The facility was opened in 1959 and this
round of upgrades follows a 2009 conversion of the site’s electric turbines to
geothermal power, according to the statement.
The new facility was officially opened by
NZ prime minister John Key on January 30, the NZ Herald reports.
Image: NZ Herald