Energy management and automation specialist, Schneider Electric, has launched EcoStruxure Augmented Operator Advisor, an augmented reality (AR) software that superimposes real-time data and virtual objects onto electrical cabinets, machines, or other items of plant – providing operators and technicians immediate access to relevant information.
The benefits of leveraging this AR technology in the field or the plant include:
- Reduced downtime: Operators can open the electrical cabinet doors virtually;
- Speed up operation and maintenance: Technicians can find information faster, with immediate access in the field to user manuals, instructions, diagrams, etc;
- Reduce human errors: Locate the right equipment and guide operators step-by-step to complete maintenance procedures.
“When employing traditional approaches, maintenance personnel spend 50 per cent of their time during a maintenance call researching information required to fix the issue. Consequently, they devote only 50 per cent of their time actually working on the equipment,” Neil Smith, Schneider Electric vice president – Industry Pacific said.
“EcoStruxure Augmented Operator Advisor, an augmented reality system, gives engineers instant access to the information they seek,” he said.
EcoStruxure Augmented Operator Advisor uses image recognition and tracking technology in a variety of environments, including:
- In front of a machine: It offers immediate access to relevant information in the field in real time;
- In front of an electrical cabinet: It can “open” electrical cabinet doors virtually;
- Inside and outside an industrial site: It delivers simultaneous views of reality and data to mobile devices.
Once engineered and deployed, the Ecostruxture Augmented Operator Advisor App can be downloaded on tablets and provide access to information like labels, process variables, SQL database, open documents, open electrical diagrams, open web pages, instructions, notes, and play videos.
By providing immediate availability to important and relevant information in the field, EcoStruxure Augmented Operator Advisor increases efficiency while reducing time and cost of operations and optimising maintenance.