Voluntary redundancy packages have been accepted by 400 workers at Holden, who will leave the company on Friday.
John Camillo of the Federation of Vehicle Industry Unions told the ABC that the occasion was sad, and – as reported earlier this month by Manufacturers’ Monthly and others – 500 workers had put their hands up for the redundancy offer.
"It's a better situation than the situation of people being forced out the door with no choice whether they want to stay or not so,” said Camillo.
"The real issue will be at the end of July when the recommendation of his findings will be put to Holden and the Federation of Vehicle Industry Union," Camillo said.
Holden’s future will be decided when senior executives from its parent company, General Motors, meet in the second week of September.
GM Holden, the Australian arm, has suggested that it might leave the country as early as the end of the year if it cannot secure extra government funding to re-tool its South Australian factory over summer.