A study of 400 Victorian auto industry employees has found only 13 per cent have started looking for new jobs.
The ABC reports that the survey found two-thirds wanted to find work, and half wanted to stay in a related manufacturing role.
Dr Tom Barnes of the Australian Catholic University said uncertainty was a major reason for not seeking work, and about a quarter of the cohort would be able to stay at the same company, in the same role, or be redeployed.
“But we know about half will or do expect to be retrenched,” Barnes told the ABC.
“It’s not because the workers haven’t been warned or they don’t know what’s going on, it because there’s still so much uncertainty about what will happen.”
The average age band was between 40 and 50, and the average time of employment was 19 years.
This Friday Ford will shut its Geelong and Broadmeadows factories, with Holden and Toyota to end their manufacturing operations next year.
According to modelling released earlier this year by the Federation of Automotive Products Manufacturers, the exit of the car makers could cost as many as 40,000 jobs.