- “Traditional” and “advanced” manufacturing: a false dichotomy
While the dollar has returned from its stratospheric journey, improving competitiveness with it, some of the damage done is not going to be reversed and this is particularly the case for manufacturing.
- Energy risks – and opportunities – for manufacturers in the renewables transition
Electricity is a major cost for many manufacturers and a business-critical requirement for all. Price and reliability matter. And right now both seem to be under a cloud. In South Australia, contract prices have been increasing sharply, and short-term spot prices reached extraordinary highs in July.
- Industry needs to nurture strong leaders
The latest figures suggest Australian leadership, which used to rank well internationally, has fallen behind the pack. This trend, writes Innes Willox, needs to be reversed as soon as possible.
- Trade deal with China? Yes, but…
The FTA with China has been under negotiation for 10 years.
- Learning from the experts
There are still plenty of well-run and dynamic businesses in this country. Manufacturers facing an uncertain future have a lot learn from the experienced outfits. Innes Willox writes.