What’s the problem with solvents?

Most solvents are “volatile”, that is, they evaporate into the air very quickly even at room temperatures. The vapours that result can be breathed in and some can easily pass through your lungs and be absorbed into your blood stream.

Here’s what you can do:

  • Avoid the use of products with organic vapour producing solvents in them eg water based coatings.
  • Make sure there is good ventilation in your work area where solvents are used.
  • Use the minimum amount of solvent needed for your job and keep lids closed.
  • Wear suitable respiratory protection for the type and amounts of solvent vapours involved

To download the full technical update from 3M regarding solvents, please fill out the form below.